Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Weedon Island

May 23
Weedon Island



 This trip is the closest trip by far as it is located 4 miles away or so. I have done this trip or variations of it many, many times. I take it for granted because it is so close and because it is a saltwater paddle, which I don't enjoy as much as freshwater paddles. Weedon Island is a fisherman's paradise as I have caught and seen redfish, giant snook, and marauding schools of jack crevalle. I have seen manatees, dolphins, sharks, and just about anything that swims. Weedon Island is an important archaelogical preserve which teaches us about Indian life here a thousand years ago. It is an area rife with middens or burial mounds and an ancient canoe over 1100 years old was found here. The preserve has an excellent marked canoe trail which weaves through mangrove tunnels, shallow grassy flats, and in between oyster bars. My schedule has been very busy as of late, and combined with proximity and abnormally low humidity, it was a perfect day to come out.
 I set out at about 2:30 PM or so and started up the trail. One important thing to note if you're going to do the canoe trail is the tide.You must have a rising or high tide to paddle the trail or you're going to be dragging your watercraft through soft, sulphorous smelling mud. So with a rising tide, conditions on this day were perfect. The trail is well marked and starts outside a mangrove shoreline and in back of a large series of oyster bars. This area is great for fishing and I commonly see yard long snook. Once,as I was paddling this section a few years ago, I spooked something very large that almost upset my canoe. Today I was paddling my kayak, which is the perfect craft for this trip. I have done the narrow mangrove tunnels in paddleboards, canoes, and kayaks, but the kayak is the most practical.
 I entered my first mangrove tunnel and encountered a couple of young ladies who looked very serious and nervous paddling through towards me. One mentioned that the "crabs were freaky". The tunnels are very tight and well canopied by the mangroves; the roots are often covered by small black crabs that skidaddle up, down, and around these small aquatic trees, which can be unnerving to arachnophobes or crabaphobes. There are two small ponds that you pass through during this section, linked by the tunnels. After passing the first, I entered the most narrow of the tunnels, which also has a couple of sharp turns. I came upon a lone kayker, an older gentleman who appeared to be hacking his way up the tunnels with an axe. He looked quite distressed. "Collecting firewood?" I asked him in a not so smart assy, but somewhat smart alecky way. He clenched his teeth and spit out a verbal assault on the conditions here, especially the tree branches that had repeatedly smacked him in the face. Further down the trail I heard more chopping. I can only hope I never see that idiot again. So far, after 18 different waterways this year, man is the most annoying creature I have encountered , slightly more annoying than the mosquito.
mangrove tunnel


Kingfisher in the mangroves




    Once out of the narrow tunnels, you get a clear view of Tampa Bay and the flats.I elected to go outside the mangroves and paddle into the bay, which interests me today, as I enjoy the rolling waves in the bay.

boardwalk crossing canoe trail

Tampa Bay


resting spot





It is still very calm and peaceful and I fall into a zen like cadence paddling the open water. I pass Googe Island point and pass to the outside of fisherman who are anchored up fishing the mangrove shoreline. these waters are some of the most productive fishing waters of Tampa Bay.  The water is murky today, but this area about 300 yards off Venetian Isle point is covered with seagrass. I enter into a wide creek that separates Googe and Ross Islands, and I make my way towards the canoe trail again. The cool breeze again greets me after passing the protected and sweltering point. I soon find marker 31 which directs me towards the last mangrove tunnel that cuts through a small amngrove island. Once passed, I see the main channel heading towards Weedon Island . There is a stiff West wind blowing against me and it is a nice workout paddle back home.

Notes: There is a very nice launch, but it can get very crowded during weekends. I recommend weekdays.There is a roundabout near the fishing pier which allows you 15 min. to unload your paddlecraft. then you park. The launch area also has a canoe/kayak wash that is very welcome after paddling saltwater.

 
Map at launch

  

No comments:

Post a Comment