Thursday, July 14, 2016

July 14 Lake Maggiore




 The 26th body of water I have paddled- which puts me at the halfway mark of my goal of 52 different waterways paddled, is close to home at St. Petersburg's Lake Maggiore. I have never paddled this lake before, but have known about it for some time. In the 1980s this lake was popular for hydroplane boat races; those ultra light boats could reach speeds approaching 200mph. About 10 years ago, the lake was dredged to clean most of the muck off the bottom, which was caused by run off and too many mixtures of things running into the lake. A small canal on the Northeast side of the lake links it to Tampa Bay and saltwater. The lake is mostly freshwater and the salinity level is controlled . Interesting to note is the fishing. It is stocked with bass, redfish and snook- a nice combination of fresh and salt water gamefish. I talked to a fisherman this morning and he affirmed that all three of these species were present in the lake, and some healthy sized specimens at that! Across from the boat launch at the park that bears the lake's name, lies Boyd Hill Nature Preserve, which is a gem in St. Pete's urban jungle. This park offers hiking in a very nice wooded area that makes you forget that you're in the middle of the city. You can even take your bike inside the park and ride the trails.
facing Boyd Hill


At the launch



water clarity


 I launch at 9AM  in my kayak and head across towards the West in very shallow water. I spy a very big but shy alligator that disappears under the weed choked water. The water is surprisingly clear and visibility is about 10 feet is some spots. The weeds that are so visible here are choked with algae and the run up into Boyd Hill is clogged with too many weeds for decent kayaking, unless you like tossing 5 pounds of weeds around with every stroke. I hug the wooded shoreline which is bordered by tall grass and cattails. Huge pine trees hulk just behind the shoreline. It is a beautiful sunny day with a good breeze blowing from the South, which cools me off a bit and actually feels refreshing. I smell smoke from a controlled burn from inside Boyd Hill . I am the only one on this 380 acre lake this morning other than a pair of fisherman in a small fishing boat working the cattails near Boyd Hill.
St. Pete skyline just above the trees


fishing pier



 I comb the Western shore and head North towards Dell Holmes Park. There is a small creek here, but I don't see it.I explore a fishing pier in front of the park. From there, I head towards the center of the lake and sit motionless and listen to the peaceful sounds of moorhens, limpkins and distant osprey cries. Above the trees, to the East, I spy the St. Petersburg skyline complete with the big white dome of Tropicana Field. I head across the lake and the wind picks up, but it feels great on my face and I love the feel of the kayak rolling in the waves. Near shore, I spy a single roseate spoonbill feeding in the shallows.This was a pleasant morning that made me forget I was in the middle of the city. Mission accomplished.   
roseate spoonbill

what's up at Lake Maggiore

  
looking at the launch



No comments:

Post a Comment