Friday, November 4, 2016

The Cotee River

Oct. 11 Pithlachascotee.....oh hell, just call it the Cotee River

The Cotee from Grey Preserve



 Usually when I venture from Pinellas County, I am looking to paddle a remote waterway to get out of the constant hustle and bustle that is the most populated county in Florida. Well, Pasco county is slowly becoming Pinellas county, but thankfully, Florida is home to many areas of state bought land which is preserved for nature lovers like myself. So I found myself on this slightly chilly weekday morning at the entrance gate of James E. Grey Preserve near New Port Richey, waiting for the park employees to let me in. Nearby,  perched upon a post, a red tailed hawk waited with me. Gates open at 7:30, and promptly at 7:45, I drove in. I travelled less than a mile down a bumpy dirt road and was impressed by the preserve. It was vacant on this morning and it looked like a nice remote place to get away from it all. I parked and pulled the kayak off the car and dropped it off at the launch. It is nice. A nice dock equipped with a kayak chute, as I call them. Fall was finally in the air and I was ready to explore the Pithla...errr.....the Cotee River.

The launch at Grey Preserve

natural bridge



 The locals around the Suncoast call this river the Cotee for short. Its full name actually means "boat building place". My plan was to paddle 3 miles downriver to Sims Park after exploring the upper portion of the river by Grey Preserve, and return. I headed up river and found it to wild looking with many twists and turns. It is a blackwater river at this point. I headed up to a bridge and turned back and made my way towards Sims Park. Inside the Grey Preserve, the scenery is wild and pristine with the exception of one section not far from the boat ramp where the river shares the South bank with a mobile home park. It is possible to explore a myriad of side trails  in the preserve off the main river. The Grey preserve also has a fishing pier where you can try your luck at catching saltwater and freshwater fish; the river runs into the Gulf of Mexico 7 miles from here. The river widens when you start getting away from the preserve and start seeing homes. I crossed under three bridges to get to Sims Park and under the second, I spooked something very large underneath the bridge that surprised me and disappeared in the murky water with a gigantic swirl.


tannin stained water on the upper Cotee


 Most of the paddling trip was an urban paddle like what you would see kayaking a canal in St. Petersburg. After 3 miles, I arrived at Sims Park which is a very nice looking city park that offers everything from walking trails, to outdoor concerts, tennis courts, swimming pools. On this morning, it was the hub of activity as people were out walking to feel the first cool air since early May. It has  nice kayak launch as well which features a roller chute. My first. After stopping awhile for a quick refreshment break, I started back. After 7 miles, I had a nice workout and some peace and quiet. The kayaking inside the preserve is very nice and offers many side trails for exploring. If you don't feel like driving far and staying close to civilization and feeling a little removed- this is a good destination.

Life...finds a way

Sims Park


The James E Grey Preserve opens at 7:30 am and is open until dusk. You can hike, picnic, fish and kayak here. Free parking is available. Nice launch facilities.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment